We are home to the Mitchell Area Historical Society, the Mitchell Area Genealogical Society and currently Oscar Howe Original art works and prints.
The building, once a library, was built in 1903 with funds from Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie. In 1940 the famous Yanktonai Nakota Sioux artist Oscar Howe painted the mural "Sun and Rain Clouds Over Hills" in the dome. From 1949 to 1971 Howe designed the murals made of corn on the Mitchell Corn Palace.
The Mitchell Area Historical Society acquired the historic Library in 2006, and with the Mitchell Area Genealogical Society, has been working to preserve the building and its history. The Center houses a permanent collection of Corn Palace memorabilia from 1892 to the present as well as changing exhibits of Mitchell area history and genealogy.
Features include changing historical and genealogical exhibits, extensive documents for research, mural and prints by Oscar Howe and a permanent collection of Corn Palace memorabilia from 1892 to the present.